July 30, 2008

Ask Anything Wednesday: Witnessing to Mormons

Welcome to Ask Anything Wednesday. This week I am answering another great question. Please keep them rolling in! Just submit your question--on anything!--in the comments section below and I'll consider responding to it in our monthly feature.

Question:
"We've had a lovely group of elders visiting for almost 4 months now on a fairly regular basis. They've come to church with us (my husband invited them and they said it was the first time they'd been to a Protestant church), and I've had many long hours of gracious conversation with them. I'm truly interested in hearing them explain their dogma and asking them questions. They know I'm a Christian and don't want to convert.

"So, my question is -- am I fooling myself in thinking that this is a good use of my time? I don't mean these young gentlemen are not worth it! They are. I'm wondering if asking questions, probing, being genuinely interested is a biblical approach AND an approach you've seen bear fruit."

Answer:
Developing friendships with Mormons (or other unbelievers for that matter) is always a good use of your time. There are many reasons why it is worthwhile to learn about their beliefs and to ask questions. Having them explain their faith allows you to better understand what they believe, which will help you to share the gospel with them as well as other Latter-day Saints in the future. And asking questions not only clarifies one's beliefs, they also can be used as an effective way to point out inconsistencies or plant seeds of doubt.

At the same time, as you can tell, I do not think a Christian may stop with merely having learned more about another faith. Our Savior has not called us to have a better understanding of what others believe; we are to reach out to them with His good news. Mormons are in rebellion against God and are rejecting Him through a false Christ and a false gospel. Apart from repentance and faith in God's One True Son, they face God's wrath for their sin. Thankfully, He has saved us from His wrath and has provided His people with propitiation for sin (which encompasses all who come to faith, including many Mormons). Who wouldn't want to tell Latter-day Saints about this wonderful redemption?

To learn more, I would highly suggest reading Mark Cares' book Speaking the Truth in Love to Mormons. It is easily the best book that I have read on witnessing to Mormons. You can also check out Cares' ministry or learn more through Mormonism Research Ministry (I used to volunteer for this fine organization).