February 2, 2009

Learning to be Content

Louisville Ice StormHave you missed me? I know that it’s been a week since my last post, but last Tuesday night our area went through what’s been reported as the worst ice storm for our region in modern history. Maybe you heard about what happened in the news. The latest report is that National Guard troops are going door to door to make sure everyone is OK and provided for.

My home was without power (and heat!) from early Wednesday morning until late Friday evening. And due to the amount of ice frozen to the trees, we had plenty of branches fall down. Nevertheless, God provided for us during this difficult time. A friend’s family generously opened up their house to us until power was restored. A coworker with a 4-wheel Jeep and a winch helped move a huge branch out of our driveway. A flexible work environment has allowed me to modify my schedule as needed. Amazingly, our house sustained minimal damage considering the amount of branches and debris that fell.

If nothing else, I’ve quickly realized how important something can be which we normally take for granted. Without electricity, life as we know it simply grinds to a halt. I wish I could say that I relied on Christ and took everything in stride, but frustration and fear quickly set in. Thankfully, God uses times like these to show me how much I have to grow in my contentment in Him. The fact of the matter is that God took wonderful care of us. Far better than I deserve!

Now our lives have begun to return to normal. I’ve returned to work. I’ll begin blogging again. And I’m slowly cleaning up what remains from the storm. At the same time, I pray that I will continue to grow in my contentment in Christ. These words from the Apostle Paul keep coming to mind:
“...for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:11–13)