March 23, 2009

A Few Thoughts While Staying Busy

This past Lord’s Day I had the privilege of worshiping with a church that’s considering supporting our ministry in Africa. While our family always enjoys fellowship with our home congregation, we’ve come to appreciate the opportunities that God brings to meet other church families. Why?

First, I meet many Christians who love and serve our Savior. I’m reminded of the diversity of the body of Christ when I worship at other churches. People from different social and ethnic groups come together to worship our Savior. What a glorious sight!

Second, I meet brothers and sisters in Christ who are dedicated to the Word of God. It’s refreshing to stand in the midst of other congregations as they read the Scriptures and submit to the Bible as it’s proclaimed from the pulpit.

Third, I meet other believers who care deeply about African Christians and their need for biblical discernment. Rarely have I left a church discouraged after telling them about our ministry. Many of our most dedicated prayer partners have joined us through the time we’ve spent in their churches.

Raising awareness and support is a challenge, but when I reflect on the blessings the Lord gives in the process, I can only thank Him for the opportunities He brings. I’m not the same man I was when I first decided to become a missionary. I pray that, by God’s grace, His refining process will continue!