February 20, 2008

Ask Anything Wednesday: New Apostolic Church

Welcome to Ask Anything Wednesday. This week I am answering another great question. Please keep them rolling in! Just submit your question--on anything!--in the comments section below and I'll consider responding to it in our weekly feature.

Question:
What is the "new apostolic church" and is it a problem in Uganda?

Answer:

Well, I think I know who asked this question, since he obviously knows about the situation of false teaching in East Africa. Nevertheless, it is an excellent question. The New Apostolic Church (NAC) is not a well-known group, but they have been remarkably successful around the world, especially in Africa. They can be rather secretive, but some good research has still come out. One example is a brief introductory series by Eryl Davies in the Evangelical Times. Since I see no need to recreate the wheel in this blog post, I highly recommend reading these articles for an informative overview: Part 1 and Part 2.

As far as answering whether it is in Uganda or not, I guess I'll simply say that a picture is worth a thousand words.
New Apostolic Church in Uganda
This picture was taken in Kampala, Uganda's capital city. What else needs to be said? We have a lot of work ahead of us to counter the errors produced by cults like this!